Interviews
Astrology &
Observations

Monday, August 18, 2014

Briana Autran: Breaking the rules of fashion & working toward her passion...



Brianna has made herself a brand in the photography world with her, built from the ground up, business brianaautranphotography. She maintains focus by keeping an independent mindset of becoming a "Girl Boss".  This process does not come easy, there is a lot of work that needs to happen in order to become a freelance queen.  As a creative, chic fashionista you must always remain loyal to yourself and the work that you do. 

If you could choose one song to be your theme song, what would that be?

My theme song would be Float on by Modest Mouse. :)

What inspired you to become an independent, self-made business owner?


Well I’ve always loved the feeling of making my own money. My 1st job was at a young age and I quickly learned the value of a dollar. I started a small babysitting/nannying business when I was 13 and by the time I was 22 I had 4-5 families that I worked for regularly. I was able to create my own hours and when I wasn’t working I had a lot of free time to work on my art and travel. I never set out to be the type of business owner that I am today but I knew that whatever my future “big girl” job was that it would have to allow me to be a free spirit so I can do my thing.

I noticed an online post of your saying that you told your mom that you can make it without a bachelors degree, what was her reaction to this choice of yours?

The 1st time I told my parents I didn’t need a BA to be successful in life they were a little disappointed. They didn’t discourage me from my way of thinking but they wanted me to have a back up plan incase being a photographer didn’t work out like I had dreamed for it to. I was still a nanny at this time and photography was a new venture for me so I understand why they were a little concerned for my future. I love my parents and I love that they have my best interest at heart but photography was the first thing that felt right to me and I was proud of the work I was doing at that time and I knew I could take it further. There was nothing stopping me from being a successful photographer and business owner. Today, I’m 24 and a full time photographer and business owner. I don’t think my parents are too worried about my back up plan like they were a few years ago. They see the drive and passion I have for my work and I’m pretty sure they realize a backup plan isn’t even an option for me.  
In the beginning what was your strategy to make your photography business thrive?

When I first started charging for my work I had no idea what I was doing. I was starting a business without even realizing it. I don’t even think there was a strategy. I just worked hard and made a lot of people happy.  Word of mouth brought me the business. Today, I am still no business expert but there is a little more method to my madness. 


Do have any mentors who you go to for guidance?

My 1st and number one mentor is my momma. She’s the most influential person in my life. She taught me at a young age that you can’t rely on anyone except yourself. She showed me the importance of being an independent female in society and I’m truly grateful for this. I think a lot of young girls are told to find a man who can take care of them, get married right away and have babies right away. But should we rush? After the excitement of marriage and kids what’s next?  You’re going to be 25, a wife, a momma and not even know who you are as an individual. 
I’m still learning who I am and I think marriage and babies should wait. I want to keep traveling, keep having crazy experiences that I can laugh about in 10 years, and I want to keep grocery shopping in the middle of the night. Men, marriage, babies and schedules will always be there once I know who I am. I feel like because I’m waiting I will truly know exactly what kind of person I want to share my life with and will be better equipped to be a mom.

You have great style & big visions, how do you stay motivated to keep grinding?

Thank you. Honestly the people I photograph keep me motivated. I love getting positive feedback from my clients after they see their photographs for the first time. I get an adrenalin rush from it and want to do more and make more people feel like that from my art. I want to get out in the world and capture people in candid moments to show them their true beauty and happiness.

Throughout this process of beating your craft, what have you learned along the way that you could pass along to aspiring photographers/business founders?

I have 3 things to pass along:  
​1.) Mistakes happen- Humans were not created perfect. When you make a mistake do right by it and learn from it.
​2.) Only show your best work- if you are a photographer or an artist only put your best work out there. Don’t give anyone mediocre work unless you want mediocre clients who will pay you just enough to live a mediocre life.
​3.) Take days off- As a business owner its hard to go a full day without doing at least one business related thing. From my experience; if you work non-stop 7 days a week you will go crazy and coffee spills happen much more frequently.

Everyone needs time for themselves to unwind and find peace. No shame in being a super lazy bum while watching New Girl re-runs from bed and eating dry cereal from the box for all 3 meals…promise you will wake up the next day back at 100% and ready to do some work!
Instagrams- brianaautran & toxicpony__

Recently you just launched a new project, Toxic Pony, tell us what led you to this idea?

Toxic Pony is an online vintage resale shop that I started with my childhood friend and roommate, Lauren Conway. We both have always been into fashion…especially vintage fashion. We chose to sell vintage instead of new clothing not only because we have passion for vintage clothing but also because the quality of real vintage clothing is unbelievable! Vintage is made to last, patterns, material and fabrics are one of a kind and you can bet you will be the only one wearing it! Any woman who knows how to use a credit card can go to the mall to buy a trendy dress that they see on a mannequin. They wear that dress out and then see 3 other women in the same exact thing. We got tired of that scenario happening to us. Lauren and I express ourselves through the way we dress and we don’t want to blend in with other women. We started Toxic Pony to encourage woman to step away from the cliché mall window front and stand out.

Now how are the pieces for TP selected?

Lauren and I currently live in Michigan so we have been traveling all around MI mitten this summer and hitting up the best consignment shops and vintage markets. Everything is hand picked by us and fits our style and our brand. We alter most of our inventory to make it even more unique and one of a kind. In the beginning of September we are taking a 2-week cross country road trip to buy more inventory outside of MI and to promote our new online store to vintage lovers out west!

TP is mostly woman's clothing & accessories, are you planning to start a men's line?

We actually just launched our Toxic Pony Men’s line last night! When we originally launched Toxic Pony in July we had a lot of men contacting us and asking if we were ever going to carry men’s clothing. Lauren and I both drool over a well-dressed man so it was a no brainer to include Men’s clothing.
brianaautranphotography

I am obsessed with closets, how is your closet organized?

Oh man, I have 3 closets in my bedroom and a lot of space to work with so one closet has all my pants, jackets and blazers which are all organized into groups. My 2nd closet has all my dresses and tops. 3rd closet is mostly shelving so I keep all my handbags, accessories and undergarments. I’m very OCD when it comes to how my closet is arranged. I like everything to be hung so that when I’m deciding on what to wear I can see everything easily.

Social media can be very powerful positively and negatively, what are your experiences with your brand on social media?

I love social media and I believe the world is at your fingertips if you know how to use it to your advantage. It can make or break you. Fortunately, I have had only positive experiences from social media- I have gotten the opportunity to connect with so many artistic people who have the same drive as I do. I come from a small town in Michigan so big opportunities are hard to come by without the use of social media.  I’ve gotten to travel and do a lot of business this summer out of town because of social media connections. It’s a beautiful thing.

Is there a go-to band or genre of music you play during photo shoots?

It depends on the client and the type of shoot I’m doing. If I’m working with a model I will most likely play something electronic and upbeat. If I’m working with families, seniors or newborns in studio I will play something safe like Lana Del Rey to set a mellow relaxing vibe.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

From this day in 5 years it will be the end of summer 2019 and I see myself just getting back from my month long backpack through Europe. A large energetic dog that I will consider my child will welcome me home with lots of sloppy kisses. I will go back to work in my downtown studio in a city that I love. Toxic Pony will be successful and known by trendsetters all around the world. In 5 years I will be happy and enjoying life as it comes at me. I will still be making mistakes and learning by them. I will be surrounded with true friendships and people who understand me. I will host hangouts with my friends and order greasy pizza with a coupon. I will still hate wearing heels and never understand football. Most importantly, in 5 years, I will still be ME. At the age of 29, I will still be the same silly, quirky and creative person I love being!