Interviews
Astrology &
Observations

Monday, July 7, 2014

Babe on a Budget

Erica Davis
Scorpio
Creator & Owner of yesterdayslove.com
Trendsetter

How would you describe your style?

My style is all over the place, I like to mix and match with modern trends and vintage pieces. I’m a sucker for prints (especially from the 1970's) and interesting textures.  


What made you interested in vintage clothes?


Trying to find my own sense of style on a budget in college led me to thrifting. The more I thrifted the more I realized "hum, why work my ass off to try and stay on top of the ever changing world of fashion when I can just buy the original styles from the 60's,70's, 80's and 90's". Today's trends are imitations of the past decades right? I’m in love with the idea of buying vintage clothing also because you will hardly come across someone who has the same exact piece of clothing as yourself, which allows you have to more of an individual sense of style. Buying the same top that someone has at Forever 21 is easy and it may be trending for 2 weeks (don’t get me wrong I love Forever 21) but thrifting a 1960's mod dress is so much more special and timeless.


What do you look for when you are thrifting?

I look for interesting prints, materials, cuts, closure pieces (buttons, zippers, snaps, Velcro, belts) sequins, beading, embroidery, handmade items. I’m starting to develop a new fascination with vintage luggage pieces anmusic records. I may need more storage.



When did you decide you were going to re-purpose “good finds” and sell them on an online store?

Right after I finished college I knew I wanted to have a vintage boutique of  my own one to get started online until I can afford to open my own brick and mortar boutique.
(coming soon in the near future)


What is your favorite piece on your web site right now?

At the moment there is a 60's mod floral dress "flower child" like that I’m obsessed with but of course it’s too small for me or I would be wearing it now!


What music do you listen to when you are working on your website or to get creative to?

I am a universal music listener so I usually put all my Pandora stations on shuffle and listen to whatever is playing or skip a track if I’m not feeling it. It can range from Whitney Huston to Daft Punk to Lil Wayne. 
You are obviously unique in many ways, what is your go-to statement piece(s)?

I have a personal philosophy to never wear the same look twice even if I do wear more pieces than others I try to never wear it with something I've worn with it before. Another fashion rule I like to live by is to always wear items I'm comfortable in, comfort is the key to feeling confident! 


What is your closet organized like?
I like to organize my closet by season, style, then color, exactly in that order.


Who are your fashion icons or inspirations?

Maison Martin Margiela inspires me to think outside the box when it comes to buying and designing clothing, his designs challenge me to experiment with non tradition materials and incorporate them in fashion. Sophia Amoruso (the woman behind Nasty Gal) inspires me to be a bad ass business woman, her life story is such an inspiration. Last but not least is "everyday life" keeps me inspired.